Here’s the link to the Exploratorium Teacher Institute web site.
The Exploratorium Teacher Institute (TI) has been a professional home for middle and high school science teachers for over twenty years. (TI brochure in PDF) The TI offers a rich mix of hands-on activities based on Exploratorium exhibits, content-based discussions, classroom materials, web-based teaching resources, and machine shop experiences.
The TI offers Summer Institutes and district-wide in-services for both new and experienced teachers. The growing family of alumni may also attend a variety of Saturday workshops. All program participants are provided with stipends for attending our institutes and workshops.
Are You A New Science Teacher?
Are you a middle or high school science teacher in San Mateo, Marin, Alameda or San Francisco Counties who has been teaching for two years or less?
Would you like science specfic assistance from the Exploratorium and get a stipend to cover your time?
The Exploratorium Teacher Institute Program For New Science Teachers
The Exploratorium Teacher Institute invites you to join teachers throughout the Bay Area who are part of an innovative, exciting, inquiry-based, content-rich professional development program. For over twenty-five years, the Teacher Institute has offered summer institutes, Saturday and after school workshops, and other opportunities to secondary math and science teachers. In Fall 2009, our New Science Teacher Program started its twelfth year.
The Exploratorium is a world famous museum of science, art, and human perception. Exhibits are interactive and hands-on. The Teacher Institute uses these exhibits as the foundation for its programs for teachers. Teachers participating in our programs will receive stipends at the end of each semester.
Key benefits of the 2 year New Science Teacher Program are:
- Saturday workshops and summer institutes led by Exploratorium staff scientists and educators
- Use of the museum’s teacher resources
- Regular meetings with a small support group consisting of other beginning teachers and an experienced science teacher
- Having experienced teachers assist you in your classroom
- Lots of hand-outs, museum publications, and other classroom materials
- 2 Saturday Orientation Meetings
- Four Saturday workshops in each semester
- The 4-week Summer Institute held at the Exploratorium
- Two mentor support group meetings per semester
- In class assistance from experienced Exploratorium Teachers-in-Residence
- The Teacher Institute regularly collects data from participants for program evaluation – including surveys, lesson observations/videotapes, and student work (with school/parent permission).
- A 1 or 2-week summer institute at the end of your 2-year program
We are not currently accepting at this time. Check back Spring 2010 for the Fall 2010 New Teacher Program Application.
Questions? Please contact Lori Lambertson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Lori can also be reached by phone at (415) 353 0499.